Industry Update Breakfast with Laing O’Rourke and the Downer/ FKG Joint Venture
In September 2018, Laing O’Rourke was awarded the contract to develop a unique international defence project in the Central Queensland region - the Australia-Singapore Military Training Initiative (ASMTI) Facilities Project.
The Australian Defence Force (ADF) requires different training areas to exercise and generate different capabilities. The largest training areas are called ‘Category 1’ training areas and include the Shoalwater Bay Training Area (SWBTA). Category 1 training areas are typically used for the highest and most complex levels of ADF training involving Navy, Army and Air Force training together to practice the live-fire integration of discrete capabilities.
The SWBTA covers 290,000 hectares of land and 165,000 hectares of maritime area, within the Livingstone Shire, north of Rockhampton in Central Queensland. In addition to ADF training needs, the SWBTA is currently host to foreign military personnel training exercises. The SWBTA currently hosts Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) for up to 45 days between August and December to conduct the unilateral Exercise Wallaby.
Under the Australia-Singapore Military Training Initiative (ASMTI), Singapore will invest around A$2.25 billion for Australia to purchase land and develop and enhance training areas to meet the future needs of the Australian Defence Force and an increased presence of Singapore Armed Forces personnel training in Australia from 45 days to up to 18 weeks a year. The scope of works includes, but is not limited to:
- Post land acquisition facilities and infrastructure
- Hardened Manoeuvre Corridors
- Field Toilets and Waste Management
- Camp Accommodation
- Vehicle Wash, Storage and Maintenance
- Urban Operations Live Fire (UOLF)
- Combined Arms Air Land Range (CAALR)
- ICT Infrastructure
- Bulk Logistics Node
- Medical Facilities
The ASMTI facilities project is targeting 80 percent local participation throughout the delivery phase activities.
The project will be completed in 2 stages, the planning phase and a delivery phase, which includes design completion and construction.
The planning phase was successfully completed and the delivery phase began in August 2019.
The delivery phase of the project commenced in September 2019 and will continue through to 2024.
In May 2018, Downer announced that, along with its joint venture partner FKG Group, it had been appointed by the Department of Defence as Managing Contractor to deliver the Shoalwater Bay Training Area Remediation Project.
The Downer/ FKG Joint Venture SWBTA Remediation Project scope of work includes:
- Improvements to support increased large-scale joint and multinational training activities, including airfield and beach landing site upgrades; and
- Improvement of key training facilities to support significantly increased usage, including camp, access road and creek crossing upgrades, and the construction of a new Urban Operations Training Facility.
This will be delivered within a highly sensitive environmental and cultural area, parts of which lie within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park World Heritage Area.
Project Duration: 4 years. Expected to be completed in 2022.
WHAT: A virtual update from the teams from Laing O'Rourke and the Downer/ FKG Joint Venture on their respective Shoalwater Bay projects.
WHEN: April 15, 2020
TIME: 7:00 - 9:30am
WHERE: This will be a virtual presentation - you will be able to sign in from your workplace, home or GEA Office
PRICE: $20 for GEA members and $35 for non-members
This Industry Update Breakfast is sponsored by CQG Consulting.
If you are a GEA Member please ensure you are logged in to receive the member ticket price.
- Click on the register now button
- Complete your details (Email, Name, Business) if you have a website login - input your email and click look-up button this will automatically pre-fill your details that we have on file
- Click on 'add to cart'
- Select the shopping cart icon in the top right corner
- Check if your item is correct and select checkout
- Select your payment method and check address details are correct
- If paying with credit card you will be asked to input your details, if paying via invoice a Tax Invoice will be emailed for payment within 7 days. If it's a free event, you still need to go through the checkout process so that we can add you to the attendee list.
- Confirm order details and click 'place order'
If you require assistance with purchasing a ticket please contact the GEA Office on 07 4972 9060.